Monday 22 June 2009

Aisha's trick never worked...

Sahih Muslim Book 031 [merits of the companions], Number 5991:

'A'isha reported that when Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) set out on a journey, he used to cast lots amongst his wives. Once this lot came out in my favour and that of Hafsa. They (Hafsa, and 'A'isha) both went along with him and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) used to travel (on camel) when it was night along with 'A'isha and talked with her. Hafsa said to 'A'isha: Would you like to ride upon my camel tonight and allow me to ride upon your camel and you would see (what you do not generally see) and I would see (what I do not see) generally? She said: Yes.

So 'A'isha rode upon the camel of Hafsa and Hafsa rode upon the camel of 'A'isha and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) came near the camel of 'A'isha. (whereas) Hafsa had been riding over that. He greeted her and then rode with her until they came down. She ('A'isha) thus missed (the company of the Holy Prophet) and when they sat down, 'A'isha felt jealous. She put her foot in the grass and said: O Allah, let the scorpion sting me or the serpent bite me. And so far as thy Messenger is concerned, I cannot say anything about him.



lol, she thought she would trick Hafsa in to getting in her hawdaj [kind of tent placed on a camel for women while travelling], and getting to meet Allah's Messenger, but the opposite happened, Allah's Messenger went to A'ishas hawdaj and (accidentally) found Hafsah there, so he stayed with her during the journey.